Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Lloyd Jones 'The book of Fame.'

finished the 'The Book of Fame' by Lloyd Jones the other day...
not sure I'm going to recommend it to be honest. The topic was so interesting. It was about the first time the All Blacks (NZ rugby team) left New Zealand for Europe. I'm all for rugby and thought this was going to be an exciting story with a lot of action involved which is why I (before I had read it, stupidly) recommended it to a bunch of manly rugby enthusiasts.
I take that back, none of you would enjoy it.
I think the only people who might enjoy this book are literature people. The book is written in a colourful prose and in a constant present plural. Which it could be read for in just that case. One never finds out who the author is though which makes it feel quite distant which might be the point since it is set so long ago and not a lot of information is recorded for the travels which the team made.
On a more personal note I think the book could do with some more action and description and to bring out a possible connection with the characters more.